Receive a guaranteed spot at the Universities of your choice before you get your ATAR/OP
Embarking on a tertiary education can be a daunting process. You’ve got lots of decisions to make and lots on your plate, but an Early Offer from a university can help reduce the normal stresses of Year 12 and give you some space to breathe.
It’s easy to apply for an early offer now, and depending on the university you apply to, you may be offered a guaranteed place before you’ve even started sitting your HSC exams. Sometimes there may be other conditions, as described by UAC –
“Such offers are generally conditional on other requirements being met, such as successful completion of a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or achievement of a specified minimum ATAR.”
But some will even offer you a secure spot based on the expectation that you “maintain or exceed the level of academic performance indicated in your application and interview” (from the University of Wollongong).
Am I eligible to apply?
Are you excelling in your studies or sports, or have been recognised for your volunteering efforts or other extra-curricular activities? Then you may well be eligible to apply.
If you’re still unsure, have a chat with your teachers or principal to discuss whether they think you’re able to apply and how they can help you complete your application.
What happens next?
Once you’ve decided that you are eligible to apply for an Early Offer and made up your mind that’s what you’d like to do, (why wouldn’t you if it could can guarantee you a spot at Uni before your exams?), there’s a few steps you need to take:
- Go to your chosen University’s website
- Search for the Early Offer (or similar) section
- Take note of the closing date and make sure you take action well in advance.
- Follow the prompts. Download any forms, or fill in the online form, speak to your teachers if you need their input. Failing that, call the contact number and ask for help from the admissions department.
- Submit the forms and any additional information required.
- Keep up the good work at school and wait for an interview date or an email notifying you of your successful application and guaranteeing you a place at University.
You can find a great list of all your local universities on the MHSCareers Website – there are lots of Early Offer links there for you to look through as well.