Evatt NT is the Territory round of Australia’s largest and premier debating and diplomacy competition.
The competition takes the form of mock sessions of the UN Security Council. Teams of two students from years 9 -12 debate, amend, and vote on a prepared resolution from the perspective of a Member State of the Security Council. The top two teams will represent their school and the NT at the National Finals December.
Why should I take part in Evatt?
- Gain skills in speaking, research, teamwork, leadership and diplomacy.
- Represent a country in the most important body in the international arena.
- Expand your horizons and engage with the big current issues in international relations – from global warming to terrorism, aid to intervention and debt to piracy.
- Debate, negotiate and lobby competitively.
- Compete for your school and the chance to represent the NT for a week in Tasmania.
- Meet other passionate and engaged young people.
- Don’t forget, you don’t need any prior debating, public speaking or model UN experience to take part in Evatt – some of our most successful teams have done absolutely no public speaking before!
How Evatt works in NT
Evatt NT is held in Term 3 in Darwin, and consists of a full day of Evatt debate. The top 2 teams from this round represent their school and the Territory at the National Finals in December.
- Preliminary Rounds – Saturday 24th August and Sunday 25th August
- Final Round – Sunday 1st September
Time: 9:00am – 2:50pm
Who: Open to all students in Years 9 – 12
Cost: $50 per team
Find out more about Evatt NT and register here: https://unyouth.org.au/event/evattnt/