The Safety Planning Checklist from 1800 RESPECT goes over some simple things you can do to stay safe, whether you’re directly affected by family violence or living in a household where abuse is taking place.
If you’re considering making a safety plan, you can get in touch with a support service (such as 1800 RESPECT) who could give you more ideas for your specific situation.
They don’t have a section for students, however here are some ideas for things you could do if you’re at school and worried about violence at home:
- Keep the things you need for school in a safe place
- Ask for extensions if you can’t complete work on time
- Ask for extra copies of assignments and forms if you lose access to them
- Speak with a trusted teacher or guidance counsellor about what’s going on if you feel comfortable doing so
- Make copies of assignments and important work, then store them in the cloud or send a copy to a friend
For the full Safety Planning Checklist click here.