Study Tips
Trending

5 Study tips during CoVid-19

Make remote learning easier on yourself

With some schools and universities using remote learning, and some parents choosing to keep their children home at the moment, here’s a few more ideas that could help you get the most out of your studies.

 

  1. Slow down

While you might feel overwhelmed by the amount of work you have to do when you first see your daily or weekly timetables, remember they cater to a variety of students.

You could:

  • Check with your teacher what their expectations are for:

– how long you spend on each subject each day and use a timer to make sure you’re not trying to do too much

– which are the core or essential tasks to focus on and which ones may be optional or extensions to classes to do once you’ve completed the core tasks

 

  • Take mini breaks between each task or subject – a bit like at school when one lesson ends, you have a few moments to move to the next lesson, take a few moments to gather your thoughts, move around and decompress from your previous lesson

 

  • Spread your work out over longer hours if it’s an option, since there’s no time spent travelling to and from school, or rushing to and from extracurricular activities, you could incorporate more breaks or allow yourself a little longer to complete each lesson while still getting all your work done

 

  1. Max out on movement and fresh air

Spending lots of time at home and having restrictions on what we’re allowed to do outside the house is tough, as the weeks go by you might find yourself turning into a mushroom spending more and more time inside.

That’s not great for you, physically or mentally.

Here’s a few simple things you could try that might help:

  • Study outside if you can, when it’s practical
  • Keep your windows open and blast fresh air through your study area
  • Between each task or subject go outside and get some exercise, it could be star jumps, weights, shooting hoops, or a just quick walk around the garden
  • During your longer breaks try to do something active outside too – a bike ride, walk, help out with some gardening, complete a work out. Try not to be tempted to veg out in front of the TV or spend the whole break on your phone.

Anything that helps get your blood flowing and gets you out of your study bubble for a few minutes could help you stay more focused, achieve more and feel more refreshed at the end of your day.

 

  1. Face time your study groups

Study groups are a great way to connect with other students and teachers, share ideas and motivate one another.

All kinds of study groups are useful, but you could try creating a time when you all get to see each other and improve your interaction. Choosing platforms and apps where you can screen share could be even more useful, providing a much quicker way of illustrating a problem or sharing a solution.

There are dozens of options to consider, with a little research you’re bound to find one with all the functionality you need. Then all you need to do is a co-ordinate a date and time and make sure everyone has any links or passwords required.

 

  1. Avoid multi-tasking

Studies have shown that only around 2% of the population are truly capable of multitasking effectively, for the other 98% of us trying to do too much at once or too quickly could actually be making life trickier and mean that you are:

  • Coming back to tasks or assignments repeatedly so ultimately they take longer to complete, as you’ll have to refamiliarise yourself with the topic and remember where you were
  • Moving between different subjects or work too quickly and making more mistakes
  • Thinking about too many things at once, leaving your brain unable code the information you’re learning which means you might not remember as much or understand the topics as well as if you apply yourself more

So perhaps try to:

  • Focus on one task at a time
  • Complete one lesson or activity before moving onto the next
  • Give yourself a mini break between subjects or assignments
  • Find a study technique that could help you achieve this e.g. POMODORO technique

 

  1. Make notes

Whether you’re ploughing through lots of text, watching video content, or even if you’re having online lessons taking notes could improve your concentration and understanding.

Plus, they could come in handy for revision later down the line.

 

Check out some of our other blog posts you may have missed with ideas that could help you stay on track with your studies:

 

9 motivational tips for remote learners

7 ways to set yourself up for online learning

9 quick tips to make life at school easier in 2020

6 alternative study tips




Back to top button