STOP – before you do anything else, read the link below
We’ve put together some useful resources to help with your Year 10 subject selection option, first of all we recommend you read Alan Finkel’s (Australian Chief Scientist) advice to Julie in Year 10. It could put you in the right mind set and help you prioritise better.
The basics about subject selection
Confused about subject selection? Then read this short blog with 5 tips for Year 10 subject selection, it could help. Ponder Careers have also put together a handy workbook which can walk you through the process and take away the pressure – get it here.
Need some extra help?
There are lots of experts (aside from your qualified and experience teachers and parents) out publishing information and tools that could help you make decisions; so you’ll end up studying the subjects that are right for you.
First of all see what information your school provides, if you think you need more guidance – check these out:
Tertiary Admission Centres (TACs)
- QTAC’s My Path – Year 10 Guide to Career Pathways and 2023 Tertiary Prerequisites (you’ll need to scroll down to find the link to download the entire 92 page document – or you can read it online)
- UAC’s Steps to Uni Guide includes Subject Compass their subject selection tool, as well as their Steps to Study For Year 10 Students 2020 Guide and top tips for choosing HSC courses.
- VTAC’s Year 10 Guide (2019) and prerequisites for 2021 and 2022 study are available, you can check back for updated information later in the year.
- SATAC’s page for Students in Years 10 and 11
- TISC’s University Admission Guide for 2023 information for current Year 10’s
- UTAS have a page for Years 7 to 10 to access relevant information
Lots of universities provide information about Year 10 subject selection and pathways to uni, here’s a few that we’ve found.
- The University of Queensland’s Year 10 Subject Selection Guide
- The University of Sydney’s Year 10 Guide 2021
- Deakin’s Guide to University for Year 10 Students
- ACU’s Year 10 Study Guide
- Monash Uni’s Guide to Entry in 2023
- Charles Sturt Uni’s Year 10 Student page includes a careers quiz and information about how to choose your future career
- UWA’s Guide for Year 9, 10 and 11 Students
Bear in mind most of this information may be geared towards getting you into a course at that particular uni, so it’s probably worth checking prerequisites and advice available for specific courses and institutions you have in mind.
Calling the Future Students office at individual uni’s with any questions could also be a great way to help you decide on subjects to take.
All education departments provide resources for Year 10 subject selection, but you’re best speaking directly with your school for more detailed information.
It could be worth taking a peek at the information provided by other states too, they sometimes have resources you might find more appealing or informative.
- QCAA’s planning your pathway page has loads of information about the Senior Education and Training (SET) Plan, including their myQCE guide.
- SACE Personal Learning Plan (PLP) and Subject Planner
- NESA’s advice for students choosing HSC courses and the Student Pathways Plan
- ACT’s Pathways Planning R Unit is for Year 11 & 12 students but might provide some information.
- Speak with an NTCET co-ordinator for subject selection information
- Get a copy of WA’s SCSA Year 10 Information Handbook and WACE requirements and study options in 2021.
- Tasmania’s Department of Education have produced a 2020 Student Guide which answer a lot of your questions.