Interested in a career in Healthcare, but not sure about your options?
There are a huge number of healthcare careers to consider, so it’s perfectly normal to be confused about which job could be the right one to pursue.
Find skills that are common to Healthcare Careers
- Are caring and compassionate
- Like helping people
- Are a great listener
The chances are this is the right industry for you.
Discover the Qualifications you’ll need
Faced with so many options, it can still be overwhelming trying to decide:
- Subjects to study at high school
- Where to find relevant work experience
- Tertiary qualifications to research
Let alone nailing down the career you’ll end up choosing.
Do a bit of research
The best place to start is by gathering information.
- Make a list of what you consider to be your best qualities, strengths and even weaknesses. If you’re struggling you could always ask a family member or teacher to help.
- Read about the jobs that interest you and find out:
- What skills are required (do they match your traits and strengths?)
- What the main duties or responsibilities of the job are (do they sound interesting to you?)
- The average salary and other details about the job market (does this fit your vision of work life balance, job security etc.)
- Any qualifications required (what study after high school are you prepared to do?)
- Aged Care (the industry)
- Cosmetic Nurse
- Occupational Therapist
- Physicians and Paediatricians
- Specialist Doctor
- Medical Doctor
- Social Worker
- Sports Physio
- Pathology Collector
- Registered Nurse (RN)
There are more resources on the website too.
Narrow down your options
Once you’ve started to do a little bit of research, you’ll get to understand if you’d be well suited to the career you have in mind, high school subjects that could help you achieve your goals, as well as a pathway post high school that’ll get you a job that you’ll find rewarding.
Once you’ve narrowed down your options you can either cross them off your list or explore the careers in more detail.