Help businesses thrive online
What do SEO Specialists do?
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) Specialists are experts who create and analyse online content to help a business get the most out of their advertising and marketing. They help businesses get discovered by customers online by using tools and skills to target the right audience.
If you love doing online searches, have a passion for marketing, and can think analytically, becoming an SEO Specialist could be perfect for you.
- Knowledge of marketing
- Great with technology
- Analytical and thorough
- Can work well in a team and independently
- Excellent communicator
- Good problem solver
- Great time management skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Reviewing websites and content to find areas to be improved
- Writing and creating content that fits a business’s brand
- Identifying strategies to drive consumers to a business’s website
- Researching current market statistics
- Preparing and analysing reports based on gathered data
- Sharing findings with other marketing professionals
- Keeping on top of marketing trends and changes
- Presenting findings and results to clients
Lifestyle Impact: Low
- Part Time opportunities: Low – around 23% of SEO Specialists work part-time (source: joboutlook.gov.au).
- Average hours for full-time workers: 44 hours a week, which is average (source: joboutlook.gov.au).
- SEO Specialists’ salary (average) $80,000* per year (source: seek.com.au). *Salaries vary depending on your skills and experience.
- Future career growth: Very strong (source: joboutlook.gov.au).
- You will most likely be doing most of your work indoors, and sitting at a desk. Being good with technology and keeping up with trends is essential.
SEO Specialists are most in demand in these locations:
This is a large occupation, with around 51,400 people working as Marketing Specialists in 2019 (source: joboutlook.gov.au). There is very high demand for SEO Specialists in New South Wales and Victoria. Most SEO Specialists work in the marketing and communications industry.
There are jobs available around Australia and globally. You might even have the chance to work with international clients and travel the world.
How to become a SEO Specialist in Australia
Although formal qualifications aren’t necessary to become an SEO Specialist in Australia, having a university-level qualification can strongly boost your prospects with employers. If you don’t have a qualification, you will likely need lots of experience.
Step 1 – Complete Year 12 with a strong focus on English and IT.
Step 2 – Try and find work experience in marketing, business, or IT.
Step 3 – Study a relevant undergraduate degree. Some options include:
- Bachelor of Business (Design and Marketing) at UniSA
- Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing) at University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Science (Psychology), Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing) at Curtin University
Step 4 – Consider upskilling with a post-graduate qualification, such as:
- Graduate Certificate in Digital Marketing at UTS
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Digital Marketing at Charles Sturt University
- Graduate Certificate of Marketing at Swinburne
Step 5 – Find work as an SEO Specialist and continue to build on your skills and experience.
Find out more here –
Similar Careers to SEO Specialist
Find out more about alternative careers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What do SEO Specialists do?
SEO Specialists use their skills and knowledge to help optimise a business’s online content and website, and make it easier to find for customers. They help businesses reach greater audiences and use insights to help with other marketing strategies.
Which industries employ SEO Specialists?
Most SEO Specialists work in the marketing and communications industry.
What options are there for career progression?
You can start out working as a junior in a marketing firm or business, and work your way up to becoming a manager. You could even start up your own business and work with clients from across the world.
Do I need to go to university to become an SEO Specialist?
You don’t necessarily need a formal qualification to become an SEO Specialist. However, a minimum Bachelor-level degree is usually desired by employers.
Where do SEO Specialists work?
SEO Specialists work all around Australia and the world. You’ll be doing most of your work indoors in an office. SEO Specialists can either work as part of a larger marketing firm, or in-house for a business.
What are 3 things I can do right now to help me become an SEO Specialist?
If you’re in high school and you’d like to find out if a career as an SEO Specialist is right for you, here’s a few things you could do right now:
- Try and get work experience in marketing, business or IT. This will help you build on valuable skills, such as communication, interpersonal skills, and computer literacy.
- See if you can talk to an SEO Specialist or someone who works in marketing and find out what the job is like. You could even start building networks and connections for the future.
- Get into the nitty-gritty of social media and websites, and even see if you can successfully start and market your own page or content.