Turn your client’s vision into reality
What do Architects do?
Architects are responsible for seeing the design and construction of buildings and infrastructure through from start to finish. They work with a variety of other people, including builders, tradespeople, surveyors, engineers, and more to complete a project.
If you have a keen eye for design, are precise and analytical, and can work to strict budgets and timelines, becoming an Architect could be perfect for you.
- Analytical and precise
- Good eye for design
- Creative and innovative
- Excellent problem solver
- Great communicator
- Organised and efficient
- Works well under pressure
- Can work well in teams
- Producing detailed drawings and plans, both by hand and using computer software
- Listening to clients and implementing their wants and needs
- Providing information on building materials, cost and timelines
- Preparing important documentation to pass on to other stakeholders
- Conferring with builders and engineers on project feasibility
- Applying for planning permission
- Travelling to and from site to oversee progress and make sure work is complying with safety standards
- Working within environmental and government restraints
Lifestyle Impact: Low
- Part Time opportunities: Low – only around 18% of Architects work part-time (source: joboutlook.gov.au).
- Average hours for full-time workers: 45 hours a week, which is slightly above average (source: joboutlook.gov.au).
- Architects’ salary (average) $80,000* per year (source: seek.com.au). *Salaries vary depending on your skills and experience.
- Future career growth: Very strong (source: joboutlook.gov.au).
- You will be spending some of your time indoors, but will also spend time outdoors on-site to perform inspections and meet with other stakeholders.
Architects are most in demand in these locations:
This is a medium sized occupation, with around 17,000 people working as Architects in Australia in 2020 (source: joboutlook.com.au). Architects are needed across Australia, but there is higher than average demand in New South Wales and Victoria. Most Architects work in the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services industry.
Most Architects are employed in capital cities, so you may have better luck finding work if you are willing to relocate.
How to become an Architect in Australia
The process of becoming an Architect in Australia is quite long. You will need to complete a relevant undergraduate degree, then a Master of Architecture in order to become a qualified Architect.
Step 1 – Complete Year 12 with a focus on English, Maths and Science.
Step 2 – Complete a relevant undergraduate degree, usually a Bachelor of Architecture or Bachelor of Design, before continuing your studies with a Master of Architecture.
Step 3 – Gain experience in the industry as a Graduate Architect.
Step 4 – Pass a three-part competency assessment process called the Architectural Practice Examination.
Step 5 – Register with your State or Territory’s Architect Registration Board.
Find out more here –
Similar Careers to Architect
Find out more about alternative careers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What do Architects do?
Architects design building and infrastructure projects for clients, and are responsible for overseeing the process from start to finish.
Which industries employ Architects?
Architects are mostly employed in the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services industry.
What options are there for career progression?
You will start out as a Graduate Architect, then obtain your registration. You could work your way up to becoming the head of a firm, or even start your own business.
Do I need to go to university to become an Architect?
Yes, you will need to complete both undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications in order to work as an Architect in Australia.
Where do Architects work?
There is demand for Architects across Australia, but demand is highest in New South Wales and Victoria.
What are 3 things I can do right now to help me become an Architect?
If you’re in high school and you’d like to find out if a career as an Architect is right for you, here’s a few things you could do right now:
- Find work experience at an architecture or design firm to start developing important skills and see if you will enjoy the work.
- Take short courses in design and start familiarising yourself with the various computer programs standard to the industry (AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, Autodesk, etc).
- See if you can talk to an Architect or watch videos and find out what a day in their life is like.