If you love all things spooky and supernatural, or get a thrill from fright night, then perhaps a career in something out of the ordinary could be for you. Welcome to a realm where academia meets the supernatural, the creepy, and the magical. We’ve uncovered some unusual degrees and courses that cater to the eerie and fascinating interests of Halloween fans.
Ever wondered about the mysteries that lie beyond our comprehension? Delve into the realm of the unexplained through courses in paranormal studies. Investigate hauntings, UFO sightings, psychic phenomena, and other eerie occurrences. Learn the methodologies of paranormal research, including data collection, analysis, and ethical considerations.
- The University of Edinburgh offers a Postgraduate course in Parapsychology.
- Or you could take your paranormal training to the next level with an accelerated PhD in Paranormal Science at the IMHS Metaphysics Institute in Florida.
- Or how about a unit in Skepticism, Science & the Paranormal at Griffith University?
Witchcraft and Wiccan studies
For those drawn to the mystical world of spells, potions, and ancient rituals, courses in witchcraft and Wiccan studies offer a window into the practices and beliefs of modern witchcraft. Learn about the history, philosophy, and rituals of Wicca and other neo-pagan traditions.
- Fly into an MA in Magic and Occult Science at the University of Exeter.
- Learn about Magic and Witchcraft in ancient Greece and Rome at the University of Newcastle.
- Study the Anthropology of Witch Hunts at the Open University.
- Take a unit in Witchcraft, Magic and The Dead at the University of Canterbury.
- Or become a Social Anthropologist at Massey University and take an elective in Anthropology of Ritual, Religion, and Witchcraft.
- The University of Hawai’i also offer a course on the Anthropology of Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion.
For those wanting to learn more about Wicca, there are lots of organisations offering courses and qualifications – you’ll need to use your skills to divine the best one for you.
Unveil the mysteries behind ancient practices and occult traditions. Courses in occultism explore alchemy, tarot, astrology, and other esoteric knowledge. Dive deep into the historical, cultural, and spiritual significance of these practices and their relevance in contemporary society.
- Gain a Bachelor’s in Mythology & Occultism at Bircham International University.
- Explore Witchcraft Paganism and Western Esotericism at the University of Sydney.
- Learn about Occultism and Modernity at the appropriately named University of Gothenburg.
Gothic literature and horror studies
Unleash your inner Stephen King, Alfred Hitchcock, or Mary Shelley by delving into the world of gothic literature and horror studies. Analyse classic and modern horror tales, understanding the psychological, societal, and cultural implications of fear. Uncover the art of storytelling that thrills and chills.
- Complete a Masters or PhD in Gothic Study at Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Explore Victorian Gothic History, Literature and Culture at the University of Portsmouth.
- Find out about The Eighteenth Century Gothic Fiction and take part in classes such as Dread and Decadence: Exploring the Literary in Gothic Horror at the University of Newark.
- Check out the Gothic Horror in Literature and Film course at the University of Tulsa.
If you are fascinated by mythical creatures like Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, or the Chupacabra, a degree or course in cryptozoology could be your ticket to exploring the unknown. Study legendary creatures and cryptids, investigating their origins and the scientific, cultural, and societal impact of these legends.
- Take a Diploma course with the Centre of Excellence
- Do a Bachelor of Metaphysical Science at Thomas Francis University and specialise in Cryptozoology or Hominology.
- Take the Monster Maker class at the University of Wisconsin and explore cryptozoology before creating your own beast.
Dark tourism and haunted places
Combine your love for travel and the eerie by exploring dark tourism. Study sites associated with death, tragedy, or the supernatural. Understand the cultural and psychological aspects of visiting these places and their impact on society.
- Take a module in Dark Tourism and Thana-Events: Managing Macabre Attractions & Exhibitions or a Masters / PhD in Dark Tourism at the University of Central Lancashire.
- Enter the Postgraduate course in Dark Tourism and Difficult Heritages at the University of Edinburgh.
- Udemy offer a number of lectures and modules in Dark Tourism too.
- Look into Tourism degrees such as the ones offered at Sunderland University and specialise in Dark Tourism research.
Forensic science and criminology
If your love for the macabre is less on the supernatural spectrum and extends to solving mysteries, forensic science and criminology might be your calling. Explore the science behind crime scene investigation, forensic psychology, and criminal profiling. Learn how to analyse evidence and understand the criminal mind.
- A Bachelor of Forensic Science at Deakin University, the Forensic Science Program at Penn State, or an MSc in Crime and Forensic Science at University College London are just the tip of the iceberg.
- Or perhaps a Bachelor of Social Science majoring in Criminology at Swinburne University, a Bachelor in pure Criminology at Loughborough University, or a BS in Criminal Justice – Criminology & Crime Analysis at Southern New Hampshire University could be a better match for you.
Happy Halloween and happy learning
This Halloween, why not explore pathways that align with your spooky interests? Whether your passion lies in ghostly investigations, ancient mysticism, or the art of instilling fear through literature, there’s a field of study waiting for you.
Note: The availability of these courses and degrees might vary based on universities and regions. We always recommend you research thoroughly and consult academic advisors for detailed information on these programs, as well as checking the credentials of any providers before signing up for courses.