- This event has passed.
GREaT WA Nursing and Midwifery Work Experience Program
Friday 8 March | 5:00 pm
Applications Close 8 March
The Get Real Experience and Try (GREaT) Nursing and Midwifery Work Experience Program has been developed to encourage high school students to experience nursing prior to studying it with a State Training Provider or at university.
The program has been developed for Year 10 high school students to experience the many aspects of nursing and midwifery in a clinical setting while observing the team in action. Over 5 consecutive days students will rotate through many areas previously not available to school students to find out what it’s really like to be a nurse or midwife and what nurses and midwives really do.
Sometimes young people disregard the option of nursing or midwifery based on preconceived, and often incorrect, ideas – usually based on what they see on TV. This program provides students access to observe nurses and midwives, who are highly educated health professionals, as they lead the care provided to patients.
Read about common nursing and midwifery myths.
To be eligible for this program, you need to be:
- a Year 10 student
- School supported
- able to get consent from your parents or guardian to participate
- interested in a career in nursing or midwifery
- able to submit a current copy of your immunisation record.
There are a number of student placements on offer throughout Western Australia. The following health sites are currently participating, although additional health sites may be added:
- Albany Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Armadale Hospital
- Bentley Hospital
- Broome Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Bunbury Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Busselton Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Fiona Stanley Hospital
- Fremantle Hospital
- Geraldton Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Graylands Hospital (Mental Health)
- King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women
- Merredin Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Narrogin Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Nickol Bay Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Northam Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Osborne Lodge (Mental Health)
- Osborne Park Hospital
- Perth Children’s Hospital
- Plantagenet Hospital, Mt Barker (WA Country Health Service)
- Port Hedland Hospital (WA Country Health Service)
- Rockingham General Hospital
- Royal Perth Hospital
- Selby Lodge (Mental Health)
- Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
- Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital (Mental Health)
- WA Country Health Service (other sites not listed may be negotiated).
The program runs between school terms 2 to 4. The exact intake dates will vary between each hospital and students can submit up to 3 placement preferences upon application.
Applications for the 2019 GREaT Program close 5pm Friday 8th March.
Late applications will not be considered. Successful applicants and their schools will be notified via email by Friday 5th April 2019.