The Oorala Aboriginal Centre Youth Leadership Program is an introduction to university life, personal development and a range of life skills, as well as health, wellbeing and Aboriginal cultural awareness and pride.
The program includes:
- short lectures and practical sessions run by academic staff at UNE
- gym and field training sessions and exposure to sports science
- cultural development sessions to encourage the students to take pride in their Aboriginality
- developing a set of values to make good decisions
- panels with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander current UNE students and role models
- UNE college experience.
These camps are designed to provide an opportunity for students to develop important values and skills such as leadership, learning, culture and wellbeing.