- This event has passed.
MedView | Get Into Med, Perth
Saturday 19 October | 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Medical school admission is becoming an increasingly difficult task.
The number of medical school places has doubled in Australia and New Zealand over the past 15 years, but as supply has increased, so has demand. As more students become aware of the exciting career prospects of a medical practitioner, medical school competitiveness becomes stronger and stronger.
To obtain the ever-elusive medical school place, students must be well-informed of their personal, philosophical and professional reasons for pursuing medicine.
Get into Med: first steps to becoming a doctor will deep-dive into the world of medical school admissions. Presented by current medical students, the 2 hour program entails:
- Do you really want to be a doctor? We’ll do a full-body CT scan of the rationale, motivations and reasoning of why people decide to study and practice medicine, and look beyond the media and societal representations.
- We’ll dissect the Australian Medical Council (AMC) requirements of medical schools, and give you a sneak peek at the curriculum so you know what you’ll be studying.
- Understanding the 3 major admissions parameters used in medical schools across Australia and New Zealand is critical for entry. We’ll prescribe the strategies for optimising:
- Entrance exams: UCAT or GAMSAT
- Academic performance thresholds: High school or Uni
- Medical interviews
- How do you get there? We’ll stitch together tips and tricks to avoid the medical school offer slump, including ways to make you stand out from the crowd.