Interested in becoming a Zoo Keeper or are you thinking of a career caring for animals, becoming a Vet, or working in tourism? Work Experience at Taronga Zoo could help you decide if it’s a career for you and put some experience on your resume.
It’s open to students in years 10-12 only and if you are thinking of applying you’ll need to get your school’s careers teacher to contact the zoo on your behalf.
- Observing a variety of work
- Undertaking supervised work
- Spending time with the staff and be able to ask questions about a zoo workplace
- Gain new skills related to animal care, horticulture and other zoo work
- Network for other possible training and employment opportunities with Taronga
You’ll need to be up for anything as your duties might include:
- Cleaning (anything from windows to animal poo)
- Preparing and distributing food for the animals
- Observing and recording animal behavioural information
- Assisting with keeper talks
- General administrative duties
Applications are now open for 2021 and there are very limited places due to a rollover from 2020.
Places are offered on a first come first serve basis and applications will close as soon as all places have been filled OR on Sunday 29 February 2021.
You can apply to work at either Taronga Zoo Sydney or Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo, but only one application is allowed, so choose carefully. Priority is given to NSW residents.